Why Nigeria Is Yet To Have Best Universal Health Care System-Sen Ohuabunwa

0
332

Why Nigeria Is Yet To Have Best Universal Health Care System-Sen Ohuabunwa

….As YMLSF Seeks improved care for ARM Patient

Joel Ajayi

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Primary Health Care and Communicable Diseases Senator Mao Ohuabunwa, has identified over-dependency on foreign donor to finance Nigeria Health sector, under-funding of National Health Insurance Scheme and rise in health tourism as the reasons why Nigeria is yet to have efficient and effective health system.

He gave the revelation on Thursday, in Abuja during 2018 edition of Young Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum YMLSF, National Summit with the theme: “Antimicrobial Resistance: A Global Health Challenge in the fight for sustainable Health System.”

Ohuabunwa who was represented by his Senior Assistant Mr Uche Okoli, said the 8th National Assembly is working round the clock to ensure the provision of qualities health facilities in the country.

According to him, today, you have asked me to give a short address on using legislative policies to address public health challenge’ and this is an issue I have been fully committed to the national assembly.

“It is necessary to commence here by saying that our nation and policy-making bodies have not taken sufficient responsibilities in providing for the best health care system for every Nigerians.

“Our health care system still depends on 75% global funding leaving Nigeria’s hovering around 25% of the funding needs.

Also, the Nigeria Health Insurance Scheme is under-funded by the government at all levels while facility is badly managed by the health ministry as Health tourism on increase.

He, however, expressed that: “for Nigeria to have the desire best health care system all hands must be on the desk through a robust and increase the budgetary allocation of all levels of governments.

“Apart from that, there should be the need for institutionalization of a National Immunization trust fund and be funded by both the private and public sector, another way forward is implementation of the Nigerian 2014 National Health Act as well as the need to create enabling the environment for local production.”

Ohuabunwa therefore, charged the YMLSF to channel all their energy to deliberate on numerous health challenges and proffer a lasting solution.

Speaking also, the chairman of the occasion Former VC UNICAL Prof. James Epoke, described AMR threat as the “largest cloud looming over humanity.

He said: “the theme for this year is very apt because AMR has done a lot of damage to humanity and this kind of gathering should be always put in place to deliberate on how to proffer solution to the scourge.

In his opening remark, the National president of YMLSF Sct Okeke Obinna called on the government to improve on the care for a patient with Antimicrobial resistance.

He said the objective of the summit is to provide the platform to effectively develop strategies to combat the global threats of AMR and channel for capacity building for medical laboratory scientists as well as other health professionals that militate against forum at the jugular.

According to him, the cost of health care for patients with resistant infections is higher than care for patients with non-resistant infection due to longer duration of illness, additional laboratory investigations and use of more expensive drugs.

“In 2016 alone according to WHO, over 490,000 people developed Multi-Drug Resistance TB MRTB globally, and drug resistance is starting to complicate the fight against HIV and malaria as well.

“Antimicrobial resistance occurs naturally over time, usually through genetic changes. However, the misuse and overuse of Antimicrobials are accelerating the process. In many places, antibiotics are overused and misused in people and animal and often given without professional oversight.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here