Connect with us

Featured

COVID 19 Second Wave: FCTA To Embark On Rigorous Enforcement Of Health Guidelines

Published

on

Joel Ajayi

The FCTA will embark on rigorous enforcement of all extant COVID-19 health and safety protocols to stop the spread of the disease in the FCT.

This was disclosed by the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello in a press briefing on the second wave of COVID-19 in the Territory held on Friday, 18th December 2020.

Malam Bello said that the fight against the virus in the FCT had been mostly effective as had been attested to by stakeholders including members of the National Assembly, the Presidential Task force on Covid-19 and members of the public. He also said that the FCT had maintained a high testing ratio and recorded relatively few mortalities.

He however decried the rising number of positive cases in the Territory which he said were unacceptably high adding that this was mainly because residents of the Territory had ceased to comply with recommended health guidelines put in place to curb the spread of the virus.

In his words “our recorded figures over the last 3 weeks have been unacceptably high and there is an urgent need to contain it as much and as fast as possible”.

Malam Bello disclosed that the enforcement teams will step up their activities and return to the streets of the FCT working very closely with the judiciary through the mobile court system under existing laws.

The Minister also disclosed that the Administration will re-enforce it’s communication and public enlightenment strategies that will involve the active participation of local youth groups and non-governmental organizations adding that “it is our intention that they drive these campaign processes to reach the nooks and crannies of the Territory”

He urged residents of the Territory to play their roles if the FCT is to overcome the second wave of the pandemic.

Malam Bello called on residents of the Territory not to be carried away by the euphoria of the festive season and let down their guard against the virus which he said had not lost its potency or capacity to make the afflicted very ill.

The Minister also revealed guidelines to curb the spread of the virus which are based on resolutions reached during a stakeholders meeting held earlier in the week, the Public Health Advisory of the NCDC, and the Federal Executive council meeting

The guidelines as released are;

“The Abuja Market Management Limited and the various market associations should work together to carry out sensitization activities and also ensure compliance of all extant health protocols.

“All extant regulations issued as conditions for re-opening of places of worship on the 4th of June 2020 still subsist and heads of the various congregations are to ensure compliance.

“All extant regulations guiding the operations of entertainment and recreational centers still subsist and operators of such places are enjoined to ensure strict compliance.

“Public transportation facilities such as buses taxis and tricycles must also obey all already established protocols.”

However, other COVID -19 guidelines in offices and business premises are; Mandatory temperature checks must be carried out on all employees and customers entering office and business premises in the FCT

“ No mask, No entry, No service – all staff members, visitors, and customers entering workplaces, shops, or business premises must wear a face mask that should cover the mouth and nose.

“All office and business premises must have a handwashing station with running water and soap or hand sanitizer

“Restrict all physical meetings and instead opt for virtual meetings, whenever possible..

“Office, shops and business premises must be well-ventilated and cleaned regularly throughout the day.

“Employees, who are feeling unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms, should notify their supervisor immediately, or stay at home and seek medical attention to confirm diagnosis, by doing a COVID19 test.”

Malam Bello also expressed the appreciation of the Administration to all medical and other frontline personnel in the fight against COVID-19.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Featured

NELFUND: The Renewed Hope Engine Propelling Nigeria’s Youth into Tomorrow

Published

on

By Dayo Israel, National Youth Leader, APC

As the National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress, I have spent most of my tenure fighting for a Nigeria where every young person, regardless of their ward or local government, family income, or circumstance, can chase dreams without the chains of financial despair.

Today, that fight feels like victory, thanks to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND). Launched as a cornerstone of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, this initiative isn’t just a policy tweak; it’s a revolution. And under the steady, visionary hand of Managing Director Akintunde Sawyerr, NELFUND has transformed from a bold promise into a roaring engine of opportunity, disbursing over ₦116 billion to more than 396,000 students and shattering barriers for over a million applicants.

Let’s be clear: NELFUND was always destined to be a game-changer. Signed into law by President Tinubu on April 3, 2024, it repealed the outdated 2023 Student Loan Act, replacing it with a modern, inclusive framework that covers tuition, upkeep allowances, and even vocational training—ensuring no Nigerian youth is left on the sidelines of progress.

But what elevates it from groundbreaking to generational? Leadership. Enter Akintunde Sawyerr, the diplomat-turned-executioner whose career reads like a blueprint for results-driven governance. From co-founding the Agricultural Fresh Produce Growers and Exporters Association of Nigeria (AFGEAN) in 2012—backed by icons like former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Dr. Akinwumi Adesina—to steering global logistics at DHL across 21 countries, Sawyerr brings a rare alchemy: strategic foresight fused with unyielding accountability.

As NELFUND’s pioneer MD, he’s turned a fledgling fund into a finely tuned machine, processing over 1 million applications since May 2024 and disbursing ₦116 billion—₦61.33 billion in institutional fees and ₦46.35 billion in upkeep—to students in 231 tertiary institutions nationwide. That’s not bureaucracy; that’s brilliance.

Sawyerr’s touch is everywhere in NELFUND’s ascent. Since the portal’s launch, he’s overseen a digital ecosystem that’s as transparent as it is efficient—seamless verification, BVN-linked tracking, and real-time dashboards that have quashed misinformation and built trust. In just 18 months, the fund has empowered 396,252 students with interest-free loans, many first-generation learners who might otherwise have dropped out.

Sensitization drives in places like Ekiti and Ogun have spiked applications — 12,000 in a single day in one instance, while expansions to vocational centers in Enugu pilot the next wave of skills-based funding. And amid challenges like data mismatches and fee hikes, Sawyerr’s team has iterated relentlessly: aligning disbursements with academic calendars, resuming backlogged upkeep payments for over 3,600 students, and even probing institutional compliance to safeguard every kobo. This isn’t management; it’s mastery—a man who doesn’t just lead but launches futures.

Yet, none of this happens in a vacuum. President Tinubu’s alliance with trailblazers like Sawyerr is the secret sauce securing Nigeria’s tomorrow. The President’s Renewed Hope Agenda isn’t rhetoric; it’s resources—₦100 billion seed capital channeled into a system that prioritizes equity over elitism. Together, they’ve forged a partnership where vision meets velocity: Tinubu’s bold repeal of barriers meets Sawyerr’s boots-on-the-ground execution, turning abstract policy into tangible triumphs. It’s a synergy that’s non-discriminatory by design—Christians, Muslims, every tribe and tongue united in access—fostering national cohesion through classrooms, not courtrooms.

As Sawyerr himself notes, this is “visionary leadership” in action, where the President’s political will ignites reforms that ripple across generations.

Why does this matter to us, Nigeria’s youth? Because NELFUND isn’t handing out handouts—it’s handing out horizons. In a country where 53% of us grapple with unemployment, these loans aren’t just funds; they’re fuel for innovation, entrepreneurship, and endurance.

Picture it: A first-generation polytechnic student in Maiduguri, once sidelined by fees, now graduates debt-free (repayments start two years post-NYSC, employer-deducted for ease) and launches a tech startup. Or a vocational trainee in Enugu, equipped with skills funding, revolutionizing local agriculture. This is quality education that endures—not fleeting certificates, but lifelong launchpads. Sawyerr’s focus on human-centered design ensures loans cover not just books, but bread—upkeep stipends of ₦20,000 monthly keeping hunger at bay so minds can soar. Under his watch, NELFUND has debunked doubts, refuted fraud claims, and delivered results that scream sustainability: Over ₦99.5 billion to 510,000 students by September, with 228 institutions on board.

As youth leaders, we see NELFUND for what it is: A covenant with our future. President Tinubu and MD Sawyerr aren’t just allies; they’re architects of an educated, empowered Nigeria—one where poverty’s grip loosens with every approved application, and innovation blooms from every funded desk. This isn’t charity; it’s an investment in the 70 million of us who will lead tomorrow.

We’ve crossed one million applications not because of luck, but leadership—a duo that’s turning “access denied” into “future unlocked.”

To President Tinubu: Thank you for daring to dream big and backing it with action.

To Akintunde Sawyerr: You’re the executor we needed, proving that one steady hand can steady a nation.

And to every Nigerian youth: Apply. Graduate. Conquer.

Because with NELFUND, your generation isn’t just surviving—it’s thriving, enduring, and eternal.

The Renewed Hope isn’t a slogan; it’s our story, now written in scholarships and success. Let’s keep turning the page.

Dayo Israel is the National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)