Connect with us

Featured

Football Action Returns to MKO Abiola Stadium Abuja November, Says Contractor

Published

on

 
….As ministry Inspects the stadium


Joel Ajayi 
The Contractor handling the renovation of MKO Abiola National stadium, Executive Director of project, Adedeji Adesoji, has revealed that the newly refurbished stadium project will be ready, come November 2021.


He gave this assurance on Monday, when the Ministry of Youth and Sports inspected the facilities in Abuja. 

“We started this work in August, we supposed to finish in March but unfortunately, we have some hitches from the pitch, for example, underground drainage had collapsed after several years of construction, an additional work that took us another three months. 


” After that we did all the work up till this stage, everything is working right now. 
” We brought in the automatic Scoreboard for recording time, playback, fast-forward, and so many other things. Scoreboard is 100% finished.


“The grass is green, and some corrections are ongoing on the pitch, hopefully next month, we should be able to complete it. 
He assured Nigerians that, after handing over of the project, the company will still be around for period of two years for proper maintenance of the edifice. 


Speaking on behalf of the Minister of Youth and Sports, Development director sports facilities, Engr. Muhammed Babakoby, applauded the contractor for the progress made so far.


 “We are here gathered to do the inspection on MKO Abiola Stadium and see progress made so far, but unfortunately the Minister and Alhaji Dangote can’t make it due to the Presidential retreat.


“The Minister appreciated the work, this is a great job.” He admitted. 


It will be recalled that,  the national heritage National stadium was abandoned for many years by the previous sports administration but the coming of the hard working Minister of Sports, Sunday Dare, who is determined to ensure infrastructures are put in place across the country, fastrack the renovation through Private Public Partnership. 


Based on Sports Minister’s  appeal to the Private individuals to come to the rescue of sports facilities in the country, Alhaji Dangote group inject $1 Million into the MKO Abiola National Stadium, Abuja and today, the  new look is beauty to behold and waiting for use.

Continue Reading

Featured

House Committee Satisfied With FMYSD’s Submission Over Athletes Ineligibility in Tokyo, Summons NBBF Over D’Tigress

Published

on

The Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Sunday Dare alongside his Permanent Secretary, Alhaji Ismail Abubakar and the Ministry’s Anti-Doping Committee appeared before the House Committee on Sports led by its chairman, Honourable Olumide Osoba.

It was a meeting that provided the Minister with an opportunity to also shed more light on allowances of the women’s basketball team, D’Tigress, payments made to the NBBF and the doping allegations against some Team Nigeria athletes to the Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.

In his report about the doping allegations, The Minister corrected an erroneous impression that many had by clearing the notion that the athletes were not guilty of doping or taking any form of illegal, performance enhancing substance.

“The Athletes were required to take three out of competition tests at 3 weeks intervals which of course they did but took it a week earlier, and that was why they were not allowed to participate in the Olympics. It should also be noted that, these ten athletes were not banned from participating in the Olympics but were ineligible to compete due to their missing the mandatory out-of-competition tests at the appropriate times,” Dare said.

On the allowances of D’Tigress, it was through the adopt-an-athlete initiative of the Minister that the sum of Two Hundred and Thirty Thousand Dollars($230,000) was raised from a group of Banks for the D’Tigress and D’Tigers. This money came in during the Olympics and was deposited into the NBBF’s CBN account.

According to the Minister, “we issued a statement regarding the $230,000 and on return from Olympics the players of both teams were asked to submit their account details so the CBN could process the payment at once, as we speak, we have only details of the female team; D’Tigress and none of D’Tigers obliged to this.

“Prior to now, the CBN have been instructed to process payment of the 12 female team members as first trench payment.

“The Process for the payment for D’Tigress is in place and near completion, the money is intact in the CBN account as CBN has provided statement of account to prove that the $230,000 NBBF fund was not misappropriated.”

According to one of the Honourable members of the Committee, Honourable Dachung Musa, representing Jos South/ Jos East Federal consistency, “We are satisfied now that you have provided the right information, especially the fact that our athletes were not banned or found guilty of taking illegal substances. I will dare to say, information is key in portraying the good image of our dear country.”

The Committee thereafter summoned the former NBBF President, Engineer Musa Kida to appear before it within two weeks.

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)