Connect with us

Featured

Kebbi Flag off Cervical Cancer Screening Program for 40,000 women in Birnin Yari PHC JEGA

Published

on

The Kebbi State Cancer Control Program has flagged off the Statewide free cervical cancer screening and treatment program for 40,000 women at PHC Birnin Yari, Jega this Thursday, 5/05/2022.

The program is a partnership between Clinton Health Initiative CHAI, World Health Organisation, Kebbi state Government and Medicaid Cancer Foundation. It is in line with the Global Strategy for the Elimination of Cervical Cancer. Kebbi State Government under the leadership of H.E Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu has scaled up the coverage to 40,000.

Distribution of commodities for Cervical Screening to the Principal Medical Officers of the selected centres for the screening was also held during the laudable program.

The successful launch was witnessed by a high powered list of stakeholders including the SSG, Commissioners, Local Government Chairmen (led by the ALGON Chairman), Development Partners ( CHAI, WHO, MCF, UNICEF, ROCHE, Johnson and Johnson), Catholic Christians Association, Principal Medical Offices (PMOs), Nigerian Medical Association and Traditional Rulers. This formidable list of stakeholders gathered to ensure effective dissemination to the women of Kebbi and thus, a successful program.

The First Lady of Kebbi State and Founder of Medicaid Cancer Foundation, Dr Zainab Shinkafi Bagudu, who spoke at the Flagoff ceremony urged that women should be encouraged to partake in the Screening saying, “traditional rulers have a big role to play in this program.”

She assured women in the state that screening for cervical cancer is safe and there is no risk of losing body fluids and womanhood contrary to myths related to the process. She debunked the rumours that say the screening takes away a woman’s sexual sensation. Dr Bagudu gave a physical demonstration of the extent of cervical cancer. Out of 12,000 women diagnosed annually, over 8000 will die. She also showed the thermal ablation device used for the treatment of early lesions which are available in all the 10 pilot hospitals running the program.

Dr Bagudu expressed her gratitude for the support of His Excellency saying that with this program, Kebbi state has been put on the global map of cervical cancer elimination. “Many countries are on their way to being declared cervical cancer free and we are hopeful that Kebbi state will soon join them.”

She stated that the State Government and the partners had paid for the program, and as such, the efforts should not be allowed to be wasted. She urged health workers to champion the cause in their various workplaces.

She thanked the Governor, His Excellency Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu for his enormous support and the support of the team and all the critical stakeholders.

Also speaking, the SSG, Alhaji Babale Umar Yauri, representing the Governor of Kebbi State, His Excellency Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, commended the First Lady for dedicating all her life to the development of women and children.

He said that the State Government has done a lot to ease the suffering of cancer patients in the state, with the collaboration of Medicaid, WHO and other partners.

He announced that no fewer than 5,000 women will be screened under the programme, with 1600 so far screened. He added that the treatment for the women would commence immediately after the screening, with facilities provided at Sir Yahaya Memorial Hospital, Birnin Kebbi and the Kebbi Medical Centre, Kalgo.

The SSG further stated that the Screening will be made a routine across the state, with over 35,000 women to benefit from the screening and treatment for all forms of cancer.

He stated that adequate provision has been made to cater for the people of the state under the cancer indigent fund, among other interventions.

The State Health Commissioner, Hon. Jafar Mohammed said that the state has worked tremendously in bolstering the cancer control Programme.

According to him, various facilities have been provided to boost access to the cancer control Programme. The Commissioner further stated that the five-year cancer control Plan was deliberately aimed to achieve effectiveness in cancer elimination.

He acknowledged the unwavering support of the Governor and H.E Dr Zainab Bagudu for cancer control. He disclosed that no fewer than 360 people had benefitted from the Indigent Cancer Fund with cash support, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and diagnostics investigations, leading to treatment, among others.

The Sarkin Kabin Jega, Alhaji Bawa Arzika while appreciating Dr Zainab Shinkafi Bagudu for launching the screening program in Jega, urged women to take advantage of the program and disregard any rumour against it.

He pledged the sustained support of the program by traditional rulers and thanked Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu for the ongoing infrastructural projects in the state.

In their brief remarks at the occasion, the Chairman of Birnin Kebbi Local Government who is also the ALGON Chairman, Alhaji Ahmad Aminu Sarkin Fada and the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Women Affairs, Hajiya Aishatu Maikurata all urged women to come out en mass and get screened.

Highlights of the program were goodwill messages from international partners such as Clinton Health Access Initiative, CHAI, WHO, Medicaid Cancer Foundation, MCF, Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, Johnson and Johnson, and Roche.

The First Lady along with other VIPs presented Cervical Cancer Screening Materials to Principal Medical Officers (PMOs) of the all the General Hospitals designated as cancer screening centres in the State. Soaps, money was distributed to over 200 women screened at the flag off.

Muktar Bagudo
SSA
Kebbi state Governor

Continue Reading

Featured

NELFUND: The Renewed Hope Engine Propelling Nigeria’s Youth into Tomorrow

Published

on

By Dayo Israel, National Youth Leader, APC

As the National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress, I have spent most of my tenure fighting for a Nigeria where every young person, regardless of their ward or local government, family income, or circumstance, can chase dreams without the chains of financial despair.

Today, that fight feels like victory, thanks to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND). Launched as a cornerstone of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, this initiative isn’t just a policy tweak; it’s a revolution. And under the steady, visionary hand of Managing Director Akintunde Sawyerr, NELFUND has transformed from a bold promise into a roaring engine of opportunity, disbursing over ₦116 billion to more than 396,000 students and shattering barriers for over a million applicants.

Let’s be clear: NELFUND was always destined to be a game-changer. Signed into law by President Tinubu on April 3, 2024, it repealed the outdated 2023 Student Loan Act, replacing it with a modern, inclusive framework that covers tuition, upkeep allowances, and even vocational training—ensuring no Nigerian youth is left on the sidelines of progress.

But what elevates it from groundbreaking to generational? Leadership. Enter Akintunde Sawyerr, the diplomat-turned-executioner whose career reads like a blueprint for results-driven governance. From co-founding the Agricultural Fresh Produce Growers and Exporters Association of Nigeria (AFGEAN) in 2012—backed by icons like former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Dr. Akinwumi Adesina—to steering global logistics at DHL across 21 countries, Sawyerr brings a rare alchemy: strategic foresight fused with unyielding accountability.

As NELFUND’s pioneer MD, he’s turned a fledgling fund into a finely tuned machine, processing over 1 million applications since May 2024 and disbursing ₦116 billion—₦61.33 billion in institutional fees and ₦46.35 billion in upkeep—to students in 231 tertiary institutions nationwide. That’s not bureaucracy; that’s brilliance.

Sawyerr’s touch is everywhere in NELFUND’s ascent. Since the portal’s launch, he’s overseen a digital ecosystem that’s as transparent as it is efficient—seamless verification, BVN-linked tracking, and real-time dashboards that have quashed misinformation and built trust. In just 18 months, the fund has empowered 396,252 students with interest-free loans, many first-generation learners who might otherwise have dropped out.

Sensitization drives in places like Ekiti and Ogun have spiked applications — 12,000 in a single day in one instance, while expansions to vocational centers in Enugu pilot the next wave of skills-based funding. And amid challenges like data mismatches and fee hikes, Sawyerr’s team has iterated relentlessly: aligning disbursements with academic calendars, resuming backlogged upkeep payments for over 3,600 students, and even probing institutional compliance to safeguard every kobo. This isn’t management; it’s mastery—a man who doesn’t just lead but launches futures.

Yet, none of this happens in a vacuum. President Tinubu’s alliance with trailblazers like Sawyerr is the secret sauce securing Nigeria’s tomorrow. The President’s Renewed Hope Agenda isn’t rhetoric; it’s resources—₦100 billion seed capital channeled into a system that prioritizes equity over elitism. Together, they’ve forged a partnership where vision meets velocity: Tinubu’s bold repeal of barriers meets Sawyerr’s boots-on-the-ground execution, turning abstract policy into tangible triumphs. It’s a synergy that’s non-discriminatory by design—Christians, Muslims, every tribe and tongue united in access—fostering national cohesion through classrooms, not courtrooms.

As Sawyerr himself notes, this is “visionary leadership” in action, where the President’s political will ignites reforms that ripple across generations.

Why does this matter to us, Nigeria’s youth? Because NELFUND isn’t handing out handouts—it’s handing out horizons. In a country where 53% of us grapple with unemployment, these loans aren’t just funds; they’re fuel for innovation, entrepreneurship, and endurance.

Picture it: A first-generation polytechnic student in Maiduguri, once sidelined by fees, now graduates debt-free (repayments start two years post-NYSC, employer-deducted for ease) and launches a tech startup. Or a vocational trainee in Enugu, equipped with skills funding, revolutionizing local agriculture. This is quality education that endures—not fleeting certificates, but lifelong launchpads. Sawyerr’s focus on human-centered design ensures loans cover not just books, but bread—upkeep stipends of ₦20,000 monthly keeping hunger at bay so minds can soar. Under his watch, NELFUND has debunked doubts, refuted fraud claims, and delivered results that scream sustainability: Over ₦99.5 billion to 510,000 students by September, with 228 institutions on board.

As youth leaders, we see NELFUND for what it is: A covenant with our future. President Tinubu and MD Sawyerr aren’t just allies; they’re architects of an educated, empowered Nigeria—one where poverty’s grip loosens with every approved application, and innovation blooms from every funded desk. This isn’t charity; it’s an investment in the 70 million of us who will lead tomorrow.

We’ve crossed one million applications not because of luck, but leadership—a duo that’s turning “access denied” into “future unlocked.”

To President Tinubu: Thank you for daring to dream big and backing it with action.

To Akintunde Sawyerr: You’re the executor we needed, proving that one steady hand can steady a nation.

And to every Nigerian youth: Apply. Graduate. Conquer.

Because with NELFUND, your generation isn’t just surviving—it’s thriving, enduring, and eternal.

The Renewed Hope isn’t a slogan; it’s our story, now written in scholarships and success. Let’s keep turning the page.

Dayo Israel is the National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)