Connect with us

Health

Nigeria On Alert After Ebola Outbreak Confirmed In Uganda – NCDC DG 

Published

on

Joel Ajayi

Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC), Dr. Jide Idris, has announced that the country is on high alert following the confirmation of an Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak in Uganda.

He disclosed this on Sunday during an interview in Abuja.Idris stated that while Nigeria has no reported cases of Ebola, the NCDC, in collaboration with key stakeholders, has heightened surveillance measures to prevent the virus from being imported into the country.He explained that the outbreak, caused by the Sudan strain of the virus, was confirmed by Uganda’s Ministry of Health on January 30, 2025.“So far, one case and one death have been reported in Wakiso, Mukono, and Mbale City in Mbale District. 

“Ugandan health authorities are currently tracking 44 contacts to curb further spread,” he added.In response to the outbreak, Idris said that the NCDC has taken several measures, including updating its Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) emergency contingency plan, increasing screening at points of entry—particularly international airports—and optimizing diagnostic capacity for EVD testing in designated laboratories.He added that the agency has also mobilized Lassa fever testing laboratories, which can be scaled up for Ebola testing if needed.

The NCDC Director-General assured Nigerians that proactive steps were being taken to mitigate any risk of an outbreak.

“While there is no immediate cause for panic, we must remain vigilant. The Ebola Sudan strain has no approved vaccine, making early detection and containment critical,” he said.

He urged Nigerians to follow key preventive measures, including practicing good hand hygiene by washing hands regularly with soap and water or using hand sanitizers.He advised avoiding contact with individuals showing symptoms such as fever, weakness, vomiting, and unexplained bleeding, as well as refraining from consuming bushmeat, particularly bats and primates.

“Seek immediate medical attention if you experience symptoms after traveling to an affected country,” he emphasized.

Additionally, Idris called on health workers to maintain a high index of suspicion, use personal protective equipment (PPE), and report suspected cases immediately.Idris noted that while the World Health Organization (WHO) has not recommended travel restrictions, he advised Nigerians to avoid non-essential travel to countries with confirmed Ebola cases

“Travelers returning from affected countries in the last 21 days with symptoms such as fever, sore throat, vomiting, or unexplained bleeding should immediately call the NCDC toll-free number (6232) or their State Ministry of Health hotline,” he emphasized.

Beyond Ebola, he highlighted that Nigeria is currently battling outbreaks of Lassa fever, meningitis, diphtheria, Mpox, measles, and anthrax.Idris reaffirmed the NCDC’s commitment to strengthening surveillance and response efforts across the country.Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) is caused by the Ebola virus, which belongs to the Filoviridae family.There are five known strains of the virus, with the Zaire strain being the most deadly, followed by the Sudan strain.

Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected individuals (blood, vomit, sweat, feces, saliva), contaminated objects, or infected animals.

The virus can spread through handling bushmeat, such as bats and primates, which are often carriers.Symptoms typically begin 2-21 days after exposure and include fever, fatigue, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, and unexplained bleeding or bruising.

As the disease progresses, organ failure and death may occur.Ebola outbreaks have occurred sporadically in several African countries, with the largest outbreak happening in West Africa between 2014 and 2016. The virus remains a public health concern in countries with known endemic transmission.

Continue Reading

Health

Stakeholders Applaud A360 Impact On Adolescent Health

Published

on

Stakeholders in Nigeria’s health and development sector say the institutionalisation and scale-up of the Adolescent 360 (A360) Amplify project have greatly improved adolescent sexual and reproductive health outcomes in participating states.

They made this known at a dissemination meeting on the project on Thursday in Abuja.

It was implemented by the Society for Family Health (SFH) and partners, and later adopted into government systems following documented successes.

Launched in 2020, the A360 project was designed to provide adolescent girls with access to sexual and reproductive health information, youth-friendly services and economic empowerment opportunities.

The programme was implemented in Kano, Jigawa, Kaduna and Nasarawa States using a human-centred design approach that engaged governments, communities and young people to improve uptake of family planning and maternal health services.

Dr Aisha Sadiq, Permanent Secretary, Kaduna State Ministry of Health, said institutionalising A360 had delivered measurable improvements in adolescent health indicators and community wellbeing.

She said Kaduna currently provides A360 youth-friendly services in 623 Primary Health Care (PHC) centres.

The Matasan Mata Arewa (MMA) initiative, she added, had reached 75 communities and empowered more than 15,000 girls with entrepreneurship skills and seed capital.

According to her, more than 60,000 girls have accessed contraceptives through the programme, with a reduction in discontinuation rates as more young women sustain use and transition to maternal and child health services.

“These changes have shown a marked reduction in maternal mortality among those communities. It has also reduced negative neonatal outcomes,” she said.

Sadiq recounted an elderly woman’s remarks from a programme community, calling them a strong reflection of the project’s success.

“These girls have spent their whole lives believing they will remain tolerable liabilities to the husbands they marry, but now they are realising the value of becoming appreciated assets,” she quoted.

Sadiq added that Kaduna’s 16 per cent health budget allocation and the integration of A360 activities into the state’s 2025 Annual Operational Plan demonstrated sustained political commitment.

Also speaking, Dr Omokhudu Idogho, Managing Director, SFH, said the four implementing states had successfully embedded A360 approaches into government systems, community structures and routine health practices.

He was represented by Dr Kenechukwu Erichalo, Deputy Managing Director, Project Delivery.

Idogho said the project had reached more than one million adolescent girls with family planning services and engaged over 500,000 others with comprehensive sexuality education messaging.

“We recorded more than 50,000 antenatal care visits, ensuring that girls received skilled care that saved lives, and supported over half a million girls to learn income-generating skills,” he said.

He said A360 pioneered the MMA and Niger Girls models, demonstrating that culturally sensitive, human-centred programmes can succeed even in conservative communities.

“Our most significant achievement is institutionalisation. Today, all 1,750 A360-supported facilities are fully government-led,” he added.

Mrs Roselyn Odeh, A360 Project Lead, said the initiative was developed in response to poor adolescent health indices in the country.

She said the programme ensured respectful, youth-friendly services at PHCs and supported school reintegration and entrepreneurship for girls.

She said the decision to scale the programme in northern states was based on data.

“When you look at maternal mortality among young people, you know the section of the country it is coming from. Data drove our decisions in alignment with government priorities,” she said.

Odeh identified challenges including weak PHC infrastructure, funding gaps, commodity shortages and the need to engage husbands in conservative communities.

“But creatively, we worked with governments to mobilise domestic funding through health revolving funds and the Basic Healthcare Provision Fund,” she said.

Mr Sagir Musa, Commissioner for Youth, Jigawa State, assured of continued commitment from implementing states to sustain and expand the project’s gains.

“This project may be nearing closure, but for us, it has just begun. We have gone beyond its life cycle to embed its approaches in the things we do,” he said.

The dissemination meeting brought together policymakers, community leaders, development partners and beneficiaries to review lessons learned and outline future priorities for scaling adolescent health interventions nationwide.

 (NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)