Connect with us

Featured

Para-Soccer : 16 states to feature in 9th edition of National Championship –President

Published

on


The President of Para-Soccer Federation of Nigeria (PFN), Misbahu Didi, said a total of 16 states would be participating in the 9th edition of the 2021 National Para soccer championship.


Didi told the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja, that the Federation had send letters of invitation to all the 36 states, and the FCT.


He said this was the only championship that the Federation had been organising constantly without any interference.
“We have been organising the national championship for nine years now. This is the only championship we do every year. Some of the states have given us assurance that they will participate in this year’s championship,” he said


He said Rotary Club had been the only faithful sponsor of our national championship since the beginning of the championship.


The president, who had identified funding as the major problem of the federation, urged non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to support it’s various activities.
“This has been one of the obstacles slowing down the federation’s activities, and that is why we need the support of NGOs across the country,” he said
Didi insisted that the federation really needed support from NGOs, philanthropists and other sports lovers, as they yearned to have more competitions.
“We need to organise more competitions to engage players, because most of them are the bread winners of their families, even with their disability status, he said.
NAN reports that the 9th edition of the National Para-soccer has been scheduled to hold from Oct. 19 to Oct. 24 at the old parade ground in Abuja.
NAN

Continue Reading

Featured

House Committee Satisfied With FMYSD’s Submission Over Athletes Ineligibility in Tokyo, Summons NBBF Over D’Tigress

Published

on

The Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Sunday Dare alongside his Permanent Secretary, Alhaji Ismail Abubakar and the Ministry’s Anti-Doping Committee appeared before the House Committee on Sports led by its chairman, Honourable Olumide Osoba.

It was a meeting that provided the Minister with an opportunity to also shed more light on allowances of the women’s basketball team, D’Tigress, payments made to the NBBF and the doping allegations against some Team Nigeria athletes to the Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.

In his report about the doping allegations, The Minister corrected an erroneous impression that many had by clearing the notion that the athletes were not guilty of doping or taking any form of illegal, performance enhancing substance.

“The Athletes were required to take three out of competition tests at 3 weeks intervals which of course they did but took it a week earlier, and that was why they were not allowed to participate in the Olympics. It should also be noted that, these ten athletes were not banned from participating in the Olympics but were ineligible to compete due to their missing the mandatory out-of-competition tests at the appropriate times,” Dare said.

On the allowances of D’Tigress, it was through the adopt-an-athlete initiative of the Minister that the sum of Two Hundred and Thirty Thousand Dollars($230,000) was raised from a group of Banks for the D’Tigress and D’Tigers. This money came in during the Olympics and was deposited into the NBBF’s CBN account.

According to the Minister, “we issued a statement regarding the $230,000 and on return from Olympics the players of both teams were asked to submit their account details so the CBN could process the payment at once, as we speak, we have only details of the female team; D’Tigress and none of D’Tigers obliged to this.

“Prior to now, the CBN have been instructed to process payment of the 12 female team members as first trench payment.

“The Process for the payment for D’Tigress is in place and near completion, the money is intact in the CBN account as CBN has provided statement of account to prove that the $230,000 NBBF fund was not misappropriated.”

According to one of the Honourable members of the Committee, Honourable Dachung Musa, representing Jos South/ Jos East Federal consistency, “We are satisfied now that you have provided the right information, especially the fact that our athletes were not banned or found guilty of taking illegal substances. I will dare to say, information is key in portraying the good image of our dear country.”

The Committee thereafter summoned the former NBBF President, Engineer Musa Kida to appear before it within two weeks.

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)