Connect with us

Featured

Reactions Trail Messi’s 6th World Best Winner Ahead Of Van Dijk, Ronaldo

Published

on

Joel Ajayi

Reactions have continued to trail Monday’s announcement of Lionel Messi as the winner of FIFA Men’s Player of the Year Award for a record of sixth time over Virgil van Dijk, Christian Ronaldo.

The Argentina striker Messi edged out UEFA’s best player Virgil van Dijk and his long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo according to FIFA, a pronouncement that is not going down well amongst the football lovers in the world.

His win is somewhat of a surprise with Van Dijk, a center back who transformed Liverpool’s defense on the way to the Champions League crown, having won the European best player award and Ronaldo who won Nations League, as well as helping Juventus to an eighth Serie A in-a-row, would have been worth winning the award.

Many football lovers, pundits among others take swept of FIFA described the decision to crowned Messi as the worse decision ever in the history of football while many lauded the FIFA for their decision.

Cristiano Ronaldo, conspicuously-absent from the FIFA Best Awards at the La Scala Opera house in Milan, on Tuesday took to Instagram to express his feelings in philosophical terms.

Portuguese superstar took to Instagram to show off what he had been up to away from the event as he seemed to be immersing himself in a book while his son Cristiano Jr appeared to be doing his homework.

“Patience and persistence are two characteristics that differentiate the professional from the amateur.

“Everything that is big today has started small. You can’t do everything, but do everything you can to make your dreams come true.

“And keep in mind that after night always comes dawn,”

Also, the Portugal football team clearly wasn’t happy that Lionel Messi beat Cristiano Ronaldo to The FIFA Best Male Player of the Year the award, responding to the news with a tweet.

Unsurprisingly Portugal’s Twitter account wasn’t having the decision to name Ronaldo’s rival as the world’s best and instead of congratulating Messi just championed their country’s all-time top scorer.

Ronaldo’s countrymen may feel aggrieved that his influence on the team to win the Nations League, as well as helping Juventus to an eighth Serie A in-a-row, would have been worth winning the award.

However, Messi still showed his worth by being extremely important to Barca’s La Liga winning season and topping the charts as Europe’s top goalscorer, for the sixth time.

The now six-time World Player of the Year, the first five being Ballon d’Ors, was unable to help his country to silverware though, as Argentina crashed out of the semi-finals of the Copa America.

In the Federal Capital Territory FCT, a Barcelona FC fans Tolulope Sanusi said Messi deserved the award; “Messi won the league’s top scorer, won the champions league top Scorer, won the top scorer in Europe’s top five leagues and people are saying he doesn’t deserve it? Na wa oh.”

Akila  Matawale expressed: “can’t FIFA vote the best player on their own and save the voting headache. This is rubbish must be only Laliga player all the time.?

As for Busayo Olowokere said “For announcing Messi as the winner for 2019, then Ronaldo far worth it last year. But like in 2010 when  Wesley Sneijder won everything for both club and country but got someone else voted as the best player, I can’t but say a repeat was what we got today.

“If winning the best FIFA player of the year is based on performance, then Messi should be out but FIFA has done the worse and we cant change it”

Speaking on Africa perspective, Eche Amos  expressed: “My brother, they filled in Luka Modric just to deny an African players in the list, as for me  Sadio Mane and Mo Sallah who won champions league at least one of them should be included, their exclusion from FIFPro men’s world XI marvels me.”

FULL LIST OF FIFA BEST 2019 AWARD WINNERS

Men’s player – Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)

Women’s player – Megan Rapinoe (Reign FC and the United States)

Men’s coach – Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)

Women’s coach – Jill Ellis (United States)

Men’s goalkeeper – Alisson Becker (Liverpool and Brazil)

Women’s goalkeeper – Sari Van Veenendaal (Atletico Madrid and Holland)

Puskas award – Daniel Zsori (Debrecen/Fehervar)

Fan award – Silvia Grecco (Palmeiras)

Fair play award – Marcelo Bielsa and the Leeds squad

FIFPro men’s world XI – Alisson; Matthijs De Ligt, Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Virgil Van Dijk; Frenkie De Jong, Eden Hazard, Luka Modric; Cristiano Ronaldo, Kylian Mbappe, Lionel Messi

FIFPro women’s world XI – Sari Van Veenendaal; Lucy Bronze, Nilla Fischer, Kelley O’Hara, Wendie Renard; Julie Ertz, Amandine Henry, Rose Lavelle; Marta, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Featured

NELFUND: The Renewed Hope Engine Propelling Nigeria’s Youth into Tomorrow

Published

on

By Dayo Israel, National Youth Leader, APC

As the National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress, I have spent most of my tenure fighting for a Nigeria where every young person, regardless of their ward or local government, family income, or circumstance, can chase dreams without the chains of financial despair.

Today, that fight feels like victory, thanks to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND). Launched as a cornerstone of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, this initiative isn’t just a policy tweak; it’s a revolution. And under the steady, visionary hand of Managing Director Akintunde Sawyerr, NELFUND has transformed from a bold promise into a roaring engine of opportunity, disbursing over ₦116 billion to more than 396,000 students and shattering barriers for over a million applicants.

Let’s be clear: NELFUND was always destined to be a game-changer. Signed into law by President Tinubu on April 3, 2024, it repealed the outdated 2023 Student Loan Act, replacing it with a modern, inclusive framework that covers tuition, upkeep allowances, and even vocational training—ensuring no Nigerian youth is left on the sidelines of progress.

But what elevates it from groundbreaking to generational? Leadership. Enter Akintunde Sawyerr, the diplomat-turned-executioner whose career reads like a blueprint for results-driven governance. From co-founding the Agricultural Fresh Produce Growers and Exporters Association of Nigeria (AFGEAN) in 2012—backed by icons like former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Dr. Akinwumi Adesina—to steering global logistics at DHL across 21 countries, Sawyerr brings a rare alchemy: strategic foresight fused with unyielding accountability.

As NELFUND’s pioneer MD, he’s turned a fledgling fund into a finely tuned machine, processing over 1 million applications since May 2024 and disbursing ₦116 billion—₦61.33 billion in institutional fees and ₦46.35 billion in upkeep—to students in 231 tertiary institutions nationwide. That’s not bureaucracy; that’s brilliance.

Sawyerr’s touch is everywhere in NELFUND’s ascent. Since the portal’s launch, he’s overseen a digital ecosystem that’s as transparent as it is efficient—seamless verification, BVN-linked tracking, and real-time dashboards that have quashed misinformation and built trust. In just 18 months, the fund has empowered 396,252 students with interest-free loans, many first-generation learners who might otherwise have dropped out.

Sensitization drives in places like Ekiti and Ogun have spiked applications — 12,000 in a single day in one instance, while expansions to vocational centers in Enugu pilot the next wave of skills-based funding. And amid challenges like data mismatches and fee hikes, Sawyerr’s team has iterated relentlessly: aligning disbursements with academic calendars, resuming backlogged upkeep payments for over 3,600 students, and even probing institutional compliance to safeguard every kobo. This isn’t management; it’s mastery—a man who doesn’t just lead but launches futures.

Yet, none of this happens in a vacuum. President Tinubu’s alliance with trailblazers like Sawyerr is the secret sauce securing Nigeria’s tomorrow. The President’s Renewed Hope Agenda isn’t rhetoric; it’s resources—₦100 billion seed capital channeled into a system that prioritizes equity over elitism. Together, they’ve forged a partnership where vision meets velocity: Tinubu’s bold repeal of barriers meets Sawyerr’s boots-on-the-ground execution, turning abstract policy into tangible triumphs. It’s a synergy that’s non-discriminatory by design—Christians, Muslims, every tribe and tongue united in access—fostering national cohesion through classrooms, not courtrooms.

As Sawyerr himself notes, this is “visionary leadership” in action, where the President’s political will ignites reforms that ripple across generations.

Why does this matter to us, Nigeria’s youth? Because NELFUND isn’t handing out handouts—it’s handing out horizons. In a country where 53% of us grapple with unemployment, these loans aren’t just funds; they’re fuel for innovation, entrepreneurship, and endurance.

Picture it: A first-generation polytechnic student in Maiduguri, once sidelined by fees, now graduates debt-free (repayments start two years post-NYSC, employer-deducted for ease) and launches a tech startup. Or a vocational trainee in Enugu, equipped with skills funding, revolutionizing local agriculture. This is quality education that endures—not fleeting certificates, but lifelong launchpads. Sawyerr’s focus on human-centered design ensures loans cover not just books, but bread—upkeep stipends of ₦20,000 monthly keeping hunger at bay so minds can soar. Under his watch, NELFUND has debunked doubts, refuted fraud claims, and delivered results that scream sustainability: Over ₦99.5 billion to 510,000 students by September, with 228 institutions on board.

As youth leaders, we see NELFUND for what it is: A covenant with our future. President Tinubu and MD Sawyerr aren’t just allies; they’re architects of an educated, empowered Nigeria—one where poverty’s grip loosens with every approved application, and innovation blooms from every funded desk. This isn’t charity; it’s an investment in the 70 million of us who will lead tomorrow.

We’ve crossed one million applications not because of luck, but leadership—a duo that’s turning “access denied” into “future unlocked.”

To President Tinubu: Thank you for daring to dream big and backing it with action.

To Akintunde Sawyerr: You’re the executor we needed, proving that one steady hand can steady a nation.

And to every Nigerian youth: Apply. Graduate. Conquer.

Because with NELFUND, your generation isn’t just surviving—it’s thriving, enduring, and eternal.

The Renewed Hope isn’t a slogan; it’s our story, now written in scholarships and success. Let’s keep turning the page.

Dayo Israel is the National Youth Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)