Connect with us

News

Umahi highlight Road Projects Progress, Hits Back At Rep Cttee Chair

Published

on

Joel Ajayi 

Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahihas hit back at the Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA), Remi Oseni who accused him of mispriority as Minister highlighted landslide road progress across the country, saying that  some projects, ongoing for 17-20 years, cannot be completed overnight.

Record have that,  during an interactive session on Thursday Oseni berated Umahi as he (Oseni) accused of Work Minister focusing on funds, while neglecting what should be his priorities.

Speaking at a news conference in Abuja on Monday, Umahi attributed his success to President Bola Tinubu’s support, highlighting the President’s unprecedented move to include all ongoing projects in the 2024 budget.

Minister said that he inherited 2,604 projects with a total cost of 13 trillion and a debt of 1.6 trillion to contractors as of May 29, 2023.

Umahi said that he inherited 2,604 projects with a total cost of 13 trillion and a debt of 1.6 trillion to contractors as of May 29, 2023.

He said that ministry under his watch has  achieved over 85 per cent completion of road projects, adding that the President approved 300 billion for palliatives, resulting in the procurement and execution of more than 330 road projects, palliatives, and bridge repairs.

He said that considering variations due to subsidy removal and dollar fluctuations, the total project cost now exceeded 19 trillion.

He said there were notable improvements in the Northwest, such as the Abuja-Kaduna-Kano Road, and completion of roads in states like Zamfara, Lagos, and regions like South-South and South-West.

Speaking on the accusations from the Chairman House Committee on Works, Umahi expressed: “you are not here to tell us what we already know in the area of resources. So, if you are telling us the reason you have failed in fixing our road infrastructure is because of resources don’t let me take you up on that because you concentrated your energy as a minister on less priority issues.

“Don’t discuss resources. All the roads that we have across the country have failed. If you are addressing the existing roads with the resources that you have, Hon minister, we will not be where we are. Don’t discuss resources.

“Last year, you got N300 billion supplementary budget approval. Don’t raise my emotions. I am worried that you are not concerned about fixing Nigerian roads. We are not here for business of whether you want to do the job or you don’t want to do the job. Stop telling us you are awarding road contracts. We don’t want you to be awarding roads that you are not ready to do. How can you be telling us that there are no resources? With what everybody (lawmakers) has said, it is a clue that you have no plan for us as a nation.”

Umahi said Oseni had not attained half of what he has achieved in life.

He said he would not join issues with the lawmaker out of the respect he has for the Speaker of House of Representatives and the National Assembly.

The minister said: “His (Oseni) accusations at this  time is very damaging to the wonderful institution of the National Assembly, especially the 10th National Assembly. For the respect of Mr Speaker and of course the Senate President and the National Assembly institution that I belong to, I will refrain myself from joining issues with him.”

Continue Reading

News

Amb Lion Ogorry Files Landmark Lawsuit Against Sahara Reporters, Sowore For Misleading and Malicious Publication Endangering National Security

Published

on

 
Ambassador Adebayo Lion Ogorry, a renowned public advocacy practitioner and activist, today announced the filing of a high-profile lawsuit against Sahara Reporters Ltd. and its publisher, Omoyele Sowore, in the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

The suit, numbered FCT/HC/CV/4767/2025, accuses the defendants of publishing a false, malicious, and reckless article that violates Nigeria’s Constitution, the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act 2015, and other laws protecting public discourse, national security, and public order.


The originating summons, filed on November 24, 2025, stems from a Sahara Reporters article titled
 “EXCLUSIVE: How Tinubu’s Defence Minister Matawalle Maintains Contact With Bandit Leaders, Ordered Them To Compel Communities To Vote For APC—Former Aide,” published on November 19, 2025.


Ambassador Ogorry alleges that the publication contains grave, unfounded accusations against the Honourable Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Bello Matawalle, claiming he maintains illicit contacts with bandit leaders, orders communities to vote for the All Progressives Congress (APC), and engages in activities that undermine counter-terrorism efforts. 


These claims, according to the suit, are not only false but also fabricated to incite alarm, hatred, and ill-will, while endangering national security and public safety.


In his affidavit supporting the summons, Ambassador Ogorry, a Nigerian citizen and resident of Abuja with a long-standing commitment to public order and lawful civic discourse, emphasized that the article was disseminated widely across Sahara Reporters’ website, social media channels, X.com (Twitter) account, Facebook pages, WhatsApp broadcasts, and other platforms. He described the publication as a blatant violation of Section 39(3)(a) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), which prohibits speech that endangers public safety, national security, and public order. Furthermore, it contravenes Sections 24(1)(a) & (b) of the Cybercrimes Act 2015 by disseminating false, misleading, and harmful information capable of causing alarm or ill-will.


“The defendants’ reckless actions have not only tarnished the reputation of a dedicated public servant but have also compromised ongoing military operations against banditry and terrorism in Nigeria’s North-West region,” said Ambassador Ogorry. “This publication promotes distrust, exposes the Minister to risks, and undermines the morale of our armed forces engaged in counter-terrorism. It is a direct assault on our national security and the freedom of expression that must be balanced with responsibility.”


The lawsuit seeks the following reliefs from the court:
– A declaration that the publication is false, misleading, malicious, and not protected speech under Section 39(1) of the Constitution (as amended).


– A declaration that it falls within restricted speech under Section 39(3)(a), endangering public safety, national security, and public order.
– A declaration that it violates Sections 24(1)(a) & (b) of the Cybercrimes Act 2015 by prohibiting false, harmful, or misleading information.


– AN ORDER OF INJUNCTION restraining the Defendants, their agents, or privies from further publishing, distributing, circulating, or causing to be circulated the said false publication or any other malicious publication especially as it relates to and against the person of Defence Minister, Dr. Matawalle.


– An order directing the defendants to issue a public retraction of the publication and publish a full apology on their website and social media channels for 14 consecutive days.


– General and exemplary damages of N10,000,000,000 (Ten Billion Naira) for the frivolous, false, and malicious publication geared toward endangering public safety, national security, and public order.


Ambassador Ogorry highlighted that the article, based on unverified claims from an alleged “former senior aide,” lacks any official record or evidence, demonstrating the defendants’ disregard for truth and ethical journalism. He urged the court to address this as a matter of urgent national importance, citing precedents such as President F.R.N. v. ISA (2017) and Guardian Newspapers v. AIEH (2011), which affirm that freedom of expression does not protect reckless publications that threaten security.


“This lawsuit is not just about correcting a falsehood; it’s about safeguarding Nigeria’s democracy, protecting public officials from baseless attacks, and ensuring media accountability,” Ambassador Ogorry added. “Sahara Reporters and Omoyele Sowore must be held responsible for their role in spreading dangerous misinformation that could fuel terrorism and disrupt public order.”


The case is set for hearing in the Abuja Judicial Division, and Ambassador Ogorry expressed confidence in the judiciary’s ability to uphold justice and constitutional principles.


About Ambassador Adebayo Lion Ogorry
Ambassador Adebayo Lion Ogorry is a public advocacy practitioner, activist, and Nigerian citizen dedicated to promoting national security, public order, and lawful civic discourse. With a focus on protecting public discourse from malicious interference, he advocates for responsible journalism and governance.

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)