Connect with us

Sports

Alleged N21bn Renovation of Surulere National Stadium: IMC Chairman Blasts Critics of Sports Minister

Published

on


….Says detractors don’t understand due process
Joel Ajayi
The Chairman of Interim Management Committee (IMC), Hon. Gbenga Elegbeleye has blasted widespread media as well as social media on the criticism that Minister Of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare requested for the sum of N21 billion to rehabilitate the National Stadium, Surulere, in Lagos.


Contrary to this report, it has become important to state clearly that the Ministry has not requested or received any such amount from government or any individual.

The Sports and Youth Minister, Mr. Sunday Dare, in an interactive session with newsmen in Lagos last week, only mentioned the figure as one of the estimated amount from the proposals received which indicates that about that sum would be needed for the complete rehabilitation and upgrade of the national edifice based on submissions made by different companies and contractors.


In a chat with Journalists, while clearing the air on  the  issue, on Wednesday in Abuja, Elegbeleye said this is the first time he saw a working adopt-a-pitch initiative by the Minister in the history of Nigeria’s sports.


Elegbeleye, who was former National Sports Commission’s Director General with many years of experience in sports administration, expressed that many lack understanding of due process and derived pleasure in bringing people that are doing well down.


According to him, Some people just wake up from the wrong side of the bed, come up and malign people. Once they wake up, the first thing they think is what they would say today to discredit somebody who is performing.


“I was DG, NSC. I have been in the sports industry for years, this is the first time we would see a minister who is interested in facilities, he carried it on his head and is doing It.


“Many don’t know what it takes to renovate a stadium, a stadium is a complete empire of entertainment, not just where you play football alone, there will be shopping-mall, bank, executive lounge, hospital, and we have so many facilities in the stadium.


“The N21 billion is not from the ministry of sports, it’s just an estimate to bring the stadium back to life, what has that got to do with Sunday Dare?  It’s just a proposal from a company, as other companies will bring their own.  


“This is not the budget time, it’s not in the budget of the Ministry of youth and sports development, it’s a mere proposal from the company and he read it out, where did that one become a problem?


“Again, the Ministry can’t spend such an amount of money to give out the contract without going through the Bureau of Public Procurement BPP.


“I was DG, I know the process, proposals are coming from several companies, BPP will now do their own costing, that is what we call due process system, they will now know the cost of project and approve any one among the proposal that meet up and send it back to the Ministry, who will now send it to the Presidency for Federal Executive Council to discuss, then FEC will now discuss whether to do or not. So, what has that got to do with someone who is Minister.


“Meanwhile the Minister’s tenure is expiring next month, once the government approves it, the project will be for the new administration, not him. What has Chief Sunday Dare got to do with spending of the money, he wouldn’t  be there when money is given.


“So, why would people just wake up in their life to keep maligning  people, some people are easily for sale, they present themselves as items, commodities for sale so that they can malign people.” He blasted.

Sports

Area Councils get N720,000 Grant as Maiden FCT FA Women’s Tournament Kicks Off April 10

Published

on

Joel Ajayi

The Federal Capital Territory Football Association (FCT FA) has disbursed a total of N720,000 to Area Councils in preparation for the inaugural FCT FA Inter-Area Councils Women’s Tournament, which is set to kick off on April 10, 2025.

The funding was announced at a media briefing held at Area 10 in Abuja on Thursday, with each of the six participating Area Council teams receiving N120,000 to support their preparations for the competition. The six Area Councils in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)—Abaji, Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje, and Kwali—were all represented at the event.

In his address, FCT FA Chairman Alhaji Adam Mouktar Mohammed revealed that the tournament aligns with his administration’s vision to foster the development of women’s football and provide opportunities for young female players in the capital.

“This tournament is part of our commitment to providing a platform for the girl-child through football,” Mouktar said. “We believe this initiative will not only boost women’s participation in the sport but also change the perception and narrative of women’s football in the FCT and beyond.”

He also credited the initiative to Mrs. Pat Ayegba-Jubril, an FCT FA board member and head of the women’s football committee, commending her dedication to advancing the women’s game in the region.

“I must acknowledge Mrs. Ayegba-Jubril for her vision and commitment to the growth of women’s football in the FCT. Her dedication to this cause has been instrumental in bringing this initiative to life, and we are excited about the positive impact it will have on the future of the game,” Mouktar stated.

Mrs. Ayegba-Jubril emphasized the critical role of financial support in ensuring that the teams are adequately prepared for the tournament.

“This funding will assist the councils in getting their teams ready for the competition,” Ayegba-Jubril stated. “It’s time to elevate women’s football and ensure that girls at the grassroot level have access to the same opportunities as their counterparts globally. We are passionate about grassroot development and must encourage more girls to participate in sports.”

The FCT FA Inter-Area Council Women’s Tournament will feature six teams, divided into two groups, with the top two teams from each group advancing to the semi-finals.

Besides Chairman Alhaji Adam Mouktar Mohammed and Mrs. Pat Ayegba-Jubril, the event was attended by several key figures, including former Nigeria star Femi Ajilore, 2nd Vice Chairman John Gabaya, and coach Patrick Bassey as members of the FCT FA board.

Signed
Uche Nwudoh Hillary
Head Media Committee
04/04/2025

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)