Connect with us

FCT news

ENDSARS: FCT Minister Receives Report On Damage Assessment

Published

on

…Commends Committee For Timely Submission

Joel Ajayi

The Honourable Minister, FCT, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has received the report of the  Ministerial Committee set up to assess losses and damages occasioned by the END SARS unrest in the Territory.

Receiving the report on Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Malam Bello commended the Committee for the timely submission of its report and assured that issues raised will be looked into with the view to ensuring that there is no repeat of such incident in the nation’s capital.

He said: “We will look at the report and use it as a means of ensuring that we don’t allow such to happen again in the future. I am sure the content of the report will guide the Administration to do the needful”.

While conveying the appreciation of the FCT Administration for the efforts of the committee, the Minister assured that relevant organs of the Administration will look at the report critically, stressing that, “If there is a need for the Administration to call you back to go through other aspects of the report or to implement the report, I hope you will make yourself available at that time”.

Presenting the report to the Minister earlier, the Chairman of FCT ENDSARS unrest Damage Assessment Committee, Alhaji Idris Abbass, who is also the Director-General of the FCT Emergency Management Agency, said submissions were received from the general public to ascertain the extent of damage in line with the terms of reference given to the Committee.

He added that the assessment was all-encompassing, saying, “We carried out a physical assessment of these affected places and we used different methodologies to arrive at our report. We had meetings, we also went on on-the-spot assessment and interacted with some of the victims affected. We have already carried out publicity and given due priority via print and electronic media so that the public will be aware of this Committee and make submissions so that nobody will be left out”.

It would be recalled that following the unrest that erupted in parts of the FCT in the wake of the EndSARS protests, the Minister had on November 5, 2020, inaugurated an 18-member committee to assess losses and damages within a 2-week time frame.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

FCT news

Resident counts loses As FCTA demolishes illegal residential structure, filling station inside NASS complex

Published

on


Joel Ajayi

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), on Monday in Abuja demolished an illegal private residential building and a filling station under construction inside the National Assembly Complex, Three Arms Zone, Abuja.


Alhaji Muktar Galadima, Director, FCTA Department of Development Control, who led the exercise, told newsmen that the land was initially allocated to the developer to construct a commercial filling station.


Galadima, however, said that the developer without permission decided to unilaterally commence building of a residential property adjacent to the land earmarked for the station.
He said: “following series of complaints from the Office of the National Security Adviser on the security implications of citing a filling station inside such a complex, the allocation was reviewed and revoked.”


Galadima, who disclosed that compensation had already been paid for the revoked land and property built, however, stated that “no compensation will be paid for the adjourning residential structure.


“This property you are seeing is a petrol filling station. The place was allocated to a corporate entity for the provision of a filling station within the National Assembly.


“Unfortunately, it was later on observed and reviewed as a mistake for obvious security reasons for such a facility to be situated within the Three Arms Zone.


“So after doing the necessary diligence, the FCT Administration thought it fit to remove the structure and give way to the office of the National Security Adviser to take over the land,” he said.
He said that the department followed a long procedure before demolishing the illegal structure marked since 2015.


“When the FCT Administration received correspondence regarding the obvious security implications of the facility, we had to follow due process because approval was granted for the development of the land.


“So, we had to assess and value the property, as well as pay compensation to the affected party. That is why it took us this long to remove this structure.


“We are humans and we are not perfect. Sometimes we make mistakes, but this type of obvious one is something that should not have been done in the first place.


“There is a specific location for each land use as regards the Abuja Master Plan. So because you feel that you have money and can just rush and build filling stations at any place is not allowed,”

Continue Reading

Trending

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)