Basketball
NBBF Congress decisions final- Kida
The Nigeria Basketball Federation president, Engr Musa Kida says the decision of the Congress reigns supreme in the choice of venue for its 2022 Elective Congress.
In a letter addressed to the Secretary, the federation said the Reconciliatory Committee set up by the Honorable Minister never recommended a change in venue but only urged the ministry to earnestly resume the electoral process already started by the NBBF on the 9th of October as the committee fully understood the sole right and responsibility of the NBBF Congress in the 2019 constitution.
“Any notion of venue modification is at complete variance with the widely circulated terms of reference setting up this committee”.
“As a Secretary General of the Federation, and having followed the process, you should know that the NBBF Election can only be held in line with the NBBF Constitution as approved by FIBA and endorsed by the FMY&S and the Nigeria Olympic Committee, which is sacrosanct and in your custody”, the letter stated.
“The NBBF is not bound to hold its Elective Congress at the same venue with other National Sports Federations just because they had theirs there.”
In a similar vein, the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) hosted its last two Congresses in Yola (2018) and Yenagoa (2021), while the NFF held its last Congress in Asaba, Delta state and security was never an issue.
Kida dismissed Abuja as a safe haven due to documented incidents and security challenges during the technical and player representatives’ elections held last year.
It will be recalled that the Congress of 9th October 2021, held in Abuja, where 100% attendance was recorded, approved the setting up of the Electoral and Appeals Committees for the NBBF Elective Congress and slated the Elective Congress for Benin, Edo State, for 30th of October 2021.
Due to the request of the FMY&S for a postponement of the Elective Congress on the 28th October just 2 days to the elections, the Congress out of respect conceded.
With the 2019 NBBF Constitution only empowering the President of the Federation to call for a Congress, Kida has therefore initiated the call for the Elective Congress to meet on the 31st, January 2022.
Only bonafide delegates emanating from the existing attendance registers of the last two Extraordinary meetings or, NBBF duly notified representations shall be allowed to attend the elective Congress
Basketball
Over ₦5 Million Up for Grabs as 2025 Sam Oguche/Bullet Energy Drink Skills Challenge Kicks Off November 14
Joel Ajayi
Over the years, the Sam Oguche/Bullet Energy Drink Basketball Tournament has become a major grassroots platform impacting the lives of young Nigerians. Many talented youths have realized their dreams through this initiative, which continues to inspire and empower communities across the country.
Building on these successes, this year’s edition slated for 14th to 15th of November in Abuja promises to be even bigger, featuring over 5,000 young participants who will compete in various exciting categories.
The event will feature over 5,000 national dancers across the country; 24 Young basketballers will be selected to play an important all-star Game and other impactful event.
The MO Basketball Arena in Zone 5 part of FCT is expected to come alive with creativity, energy, and skill when the 2025 edition, tagged Sam Oguche/Bullet Energy Drink Basketball Skills Challenge, tips off. Winners across different categories will share a total prize of over ₦5 million, making it one of the most anticipated sporting and entertainment events of the year.
Speaking at a press conference in Abuja on Friday, the convener, Samuel Oguche, expressed his appreciation to the media and partners for their continued support.
“First of all, we just want to appreciate everyone for being here with us today and for giving us this opportunity once again. This isn’t our first time partnering with you, and as always, Bullet Energy Drink has continued to stand firmly behind basketball Nigeria’s second most popular sport. For the past 10 years, Bullet has consistently supported the growth and promotion of the game,” Oguche said.
He added that the 2025 edition will bring a new level of excitement, combining sports and entertainment in a way never seen before.
“For the first time ever in Abuja, we’re hosting a National Dance Battle something truly unique and unprecedented.
“Dancers from across the country will converge in the city to compete for supremacy and a grand prize of ₦5 million. Alongside that, we’ll host an All-Star Basketball Game, featuring the best 24 players from Abuja and its environs on Saturday, November 15th.
“We’re also introducing something completely new to Nigeria a Basketball Skills Challenge, inspired by the NBA and global sports traditions. We’re proud to be the first brand to bring this kind of experience to Nigerian basketball. This event is all about innovation, excitement, and celebrating talent,” he said.
In his remarks, the representative of Bullet Energy Drink, Mr. Benedict Okoye, reaffirmed the brand’s commitment to supporting the development of sports and entertainment in Nigeria.
“We are truly delighted to be part of this initiative once again. Bullet has proudly supported basketball for the past 10 years, and it’s been an incredible journey watching the sport grow rapidly across the country,” Okoye said.
He noted that adding dance to the event was a strategic move to expand the impact of the brand’s engagement with youth and creativity.
“Dance is a universal language that everyone enjoys and connects with. We want to explore new horizons and creatively blend the beverage industry with dance and sports, not just in Nigeria but as a model that can inspire similar collaborations globally.
“Moving forward, we’re confident that this initiative will be a success and when it does, we’ll do even more. Our goal is to continue supporting Nigeria’s entertainment and creative community — whether through sports, dance, music, or other cultural expressions.
“We’re proud to play our part in creating opportunities and providing platforms that keep entertainment alive and thriving in Nigeria,” he added.
This year’s edition promises to be a celebration of talent, creativity, and youthful energy, reaffirming Bullet Energy Drink’s place as a leading supporter of grassroots sports and entertainment development in Nigeria.
-
Featured6 years agoLampard Names New Chelsea Manager
-
Featured6 years agoFG To Extends Lockdown In FCT, Lagos Ogun states For 7days
-
Featured6 years agoChildren Custody: Court Adjourns Mike Ezuruonye, Wife’s Case To April 7
-
Featured6 years agoNYSC Dismisses Report Of DG’s Plan To Islamize Benue Orientation Camp
-
Featured4 years agoTransfer Saga: How Mikel Obi Refused to compensate me After I Linked Him Worth $4m Deal In Kuwait SC – Okafor
-
Sports3 years ago
TINUBU LAMBAST DELE MOMODU
-
News11 months agoZulu to Super Eagles B team, President Tinubu is happy with you
-
Featured6 years ago
Board urges FG to establish one-stop rehabilitation centres in 6 geopolitical zones
